Sunday 18 May 2008

I'm A Gasoline Gut With A Vaseline Mind

I promised it days ago, but here it is now. I'm determined to make my way through this. Watch how my witty comments get duller and duller as I get bored.

I'm going to try and group these together, but it may not work out brilliantly, as the sequencing and narratives lecture we've been promised for the last few weeks has been cancelled twice. So first of all, I'll give you the people, as I'm acutely aware of the fact that my mother doesn't understand my Performance Photography Shoe's project. So that will be at the bottom, so it can be skipped.

Photobucket

'I don't care if it rains or freezes
'Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car'

David and Carey keep singing folk songs on David's half size guitar. It's pretty cute listening to them both.

Photobucket

Because we are quite the cool kids in my house, We spend a lot of time in the Garden while it's sunny. Along with the Garden and the Sun, is Cider. It seems a completely logical match.

Photobucket

Oh, and music. We can't forget the music. We stick the speakers out the bathroom window, because we're hardcore.

Photobucket

Jamie tends to be at the centre of attention in our gatherings, everything seems to be a bit calmer when he's quieter.

Photobucket

But it's always only momentary. He's soon back to silliness.

Photobucket

Ed's hats keep changing throughout the evening.

Photobucket

Eli is lovely. I can't say a bad thing about him. Especially when he appears in pictures like this. Which everyone loves.

Photobucket

Hairless is a king poser. I think it may well be this face that has lured many a girly girl back to our house.

Photobucket

House Grant. Looking distinctly hungover and contemplative on the train to Birmingham.

Photobucket

Speaking of Birmingham, I think it may well be a right of passage for photographers to take pictures of the selfridges building. And rightly so. It's phenomenal when you actually see it. Pictures can do no justice to it.

Photobucket

After all my kerfuffles with lens' recently, I am now in love with my new lens. I'd start rattling on about it's specs, but I think it's better to let the pictures it captured do the talking.

Photobucket

Seriously. The building is bloody gorgeous!

Photobucket

The Bullring. My God. I have never seen so many people in a shopping centre before. Not even in Dublin! It was hectic, to say the least.

Photobucket

Hokay then. Shoes!

Quick brief - I'm doing a project on performance photography. There is an Irish photographer named Hannah Starkey. She has a series of work called 'The Mundane Situation'. The pictures are situations you would come across on any given day, but rather than being straight documentary, the situations are meticulously set up. Actors and props are both arranged in a way that seems completely natural. In the case of Starkey's pictures, it is really, the back story that makes them appealing. In my project, I'm doing something fairly similar, but with shoes, and not people.

Photobucket

It took about half an hour to set this up. I took about 40 pictures. This was the only one I really like. Which is somewhat disappointing, to say the least. That said, it did lead to a highly exciting barbecue, and an impromptu bonfire, so hurrah!

Photobucket

Of course, in order to have a barbecue, we need food. The shoe pictures I took in Morrisons were not fabulous, but considering the fact that there are hundreds of people around, resulting in embarrassment, and a need to hurry, so someone doesn't mess up the shot, and I'm technically not supposed to be taking pictures in Morrisons. People I'm sure have done far worse in the quest for a good photograph.

Photobucket

Now, this could either be a late night drug deal, or a secret meeting between lovers. Personally, for the sake of hilarity, I'm routing for the first scenario.

Photobucket

I liked this picture, because although you can't really see the shoes, I think it's all set up quite nicely. And it just makes me think of how clean and organised Nan's houses generally are.

Photobucket

Until of course, you reach their chairs. Then it all transforms into nothing but cosy ^_^

Photobucket

On to an adventure. The shoe's went to Abergavenny.

Photobucket

They checked out all the station safety signs, and checked their timetables, to make sure they did in fact get the train to Abergavenny and not Manchester.

Photobucket

As usual, the train was late, so sitting around on benches seemed a good idea.

Photobucket

As the time went by, and trains not meant for them passed through, the shoes contemplated leaving and giving up on their grand adventure.

Photobucket

Their patience eventually paid off however, and they queued up to get onto the train.

Photobucket

They shoes had a peaceful train journey, which was unusual, as something usually goes wrong.

Photobucket

When they reached Abergavenny, they spotted a pub, and being the studently types they are, it seemed only rational to pay it a quick visit, so off they ran down the bridge steps.

Photobucket
After the drinking, the shoe's paid a quick visit to the loo's, and went back home.

The End ^_^

No comments: